Surfer attacked by shark at Evans Head in New South Wales, Australia

Media Release

NSW Police Force

31. July 2015


Shark attack – Evans Head

A man has been injured following a suspected shark attack on the state’s north coast.

Around 6.20am today (Friday 31 July 2015), police were called to Main Beach, Evans Head, after a surfer was attacked by what is believed to have been a shark.

Emergency services attended the beach and started working on the man, who had sustained puncture wounds to his legs and hands.

He is currently being transported to Lismore Hospital in a serious but stable condition. A police officer drove the ambulance to allow paramedics to work on the man on route to the hospital.

Police will meet with surf lifesavers shortly; the beach is expected to be closed.


UPDATE: Shark attack – Evans Head

Friday, 31 July 2015 09:19:05 AM

Police have confirmed that the victim of a shark attack on the north coast is a 52-year-old man from Evans Head.

Officers have been told that the man was one of two people surfing around 100 metres off shore from Main Beach, Evans Head, early this morning (Friday 31 July 2015).

Around 6am, the 52-year-old man spotted what he believed to be a shark and shouted out to the other surfer – also a man – to get out of the water.

As he paddled towards shore, the 52-year-old was attacked by the shark which bit his left leg. The impact of the attack knocked the man off his board.

The man punched the shark in an attempt to scare it away; during the struggle, the shark also bit his left arm.

The man eventually made it to shore where a passer-by applied a tourniquet to his leg.

Emergency Services were called to the location around 6.20am and the man was placed in an ambulance. Two paramedics worked to stabilise the patient while a police officer began the drive to Lismore Hospital.

A short time later, a NSW Ambulance vehicle with a doctor and paramedic on board met the ambulance. The doctor and two paramedics worked on the patient while the third paramedic drove them to Lismore Hospital.

The police officer drove the empty vehicle the doctor had arrived in back to its base in Lismore.

The 52-year-old man is now at Lismore Hospital undergoing treatment.

Main Beach and two other local beaches – Shark Bay and Chinamans Beach – have all been closed until 6.30am tomorrow. The situation will be re-assessed tomorrow morning.

Source: NSW Police


Leave a Reply