CITES Notification: Inclusion of Scalloped Hammerhead and Porbeagle Shark in Appendix III
CONVENTION ON INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN ENDANGERED SPECIES OF WILD FAUNA AND FLORA
NOTIFICATION TO THE PARTIES
Geneva, 27 June 2012
Inclusion of species in Appendix III and corrections to the Appendices
1. In accordance with the provisions of Article XVI, paragraph 1, of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora, the Governments of the following States have requested the Secretariat to include in Appendix III the species indicated below:
Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark (excluding the dependent territory of Greenland), Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
LAMNIDAE Lamna nasus
SPHYRNIDAE Sphyrna lewini
2. In accordance with the provisions of Article XVI, paragraph 2, of the Convention, inclusion of these species in Appendix III shall take effect 90 days after the date of this Notification, i.e. on 25 September 2012.
3. When revising the CITES Appendices to include the species listed above, the Secretariat will take the opportunity to make the following further amendments.
a) For reasons explained in Notification to the Parties No. 2012/043 of 25 June 2012, a footnote will be added to the listing of the species Scleropages formosus in Appendix I, to indicate that this includes the newly described taxon Scleropages inscriptus;
b) At the request of the Government of Madagascar, the species Diospyros crassiflorides was included in CITES Appendix III on 22 December 2011. The listing in the Appendices is presented as follows, the name in parentheses being provided as a synonym for information purposes:
Diospyros crassiflorides (Diospyros crassiflora).
However, the use of this name has created some confusion. Following consultation with the nomenclature specialist of the Plants Committee, it has been clarified that the correct name for the species that Madagascar wished to include in Appendix III is the following:
Diospyros mcphersonii G.E. Schatz & Lowry (Diospyros crassiflora H. Perrier)
The Government of Madagascar has confirmed that it agrees to this amendment; and
c) A correction will be made to the translations in French and Spanish of the annotation to Crocodylus niloticus, to clarify that the text “(subject to an annual export quota of no more than 1,600 wild specimens including hunting trophies, in addition to ranched specimens)” applies to the population of the United Republic of Tanzania only. This correction does not affect the English.
4. The revised edition of the CITES Appendices will be placed on the CITES website before it enters into effect.
Our related previous posts :
13. February 2012 EU pushes for CITES Appendix III listing of Porbeagle Sharks