Reunion Shark Hunt has begunHelmut Nickel, Shark Year Magazine, 27. September 2011
– The authorities in Reunion Island have ordered to conduct a shark-fishing-operation to protect local ‘leisure activities’ and the ‘work at sea’.
– The shark fishing operation has begun on 27. September 2011 ( 0.00 hrs. ) and will end on 29. September 2011 ( 23.59 hrs.).
– The shark fishing operation is conducted by two fishing vessels (the ‘Magnum’ and the ‘Are Nui’) , using the techniques of trolling and/or longline fishing.
– The fishermen target (kill) only sharks with a minimum length of 1.50 metres , and is only limited to the following two species :
Tiger shark (Galeocerdo cuvier)
Bull shark (Carcharhinus leucas)
– Sharks under 1.50 metres in length will be tagged and released.
– Shark species other than those specified above will also be released alive.
– The fishermen are only allowed to keep (kill) up to ten sharks.
– The shark fishing operation is taking place within three contiguous areas ( Zone 1 – 3 ) from Cap La Houssaye in the North to Brisants Beach in the South.
Source: Prefecture de la Reunion.