Attacks & Incidents

Page 6 of 30« First...45678...2030...Last »

Reunion Island: Woman dies in shark attack at l’Etang Salé

Reunion Island: Woman dies in shark attack at l’Etang Salé

Helmut Nickel (mail), Shark Year Magazine, 15. February 2015 On 14. February 2015 at around 6:40 pm, a young woman in her early 20’s was seriously injured in a shark attack in Reunion Island. The incident occurred while the victim was swimming with her friend close to shore at a beach in l’Etang Salé on

Great white shark involved in fatal attack on surfer at Ballina NSW

Great white shark involved in fatal attack on surfer at Ballina NSW

Latest Media Release NSW Police Force 11. February 2015 ———————– Great White Shark responsible for fatal attack – Ballina Police have been told a Great White Shark was responsible for the death of a surfer at Ballina this week. A 41-year-old man, Tadashi Nakahara, a Japanese national who had been living and working in Ballina,

Shark attack deaths down in 2014, UF says

Shark attack deaths down in 2014, UF says

News Release University of Florida 11. February 2015 ————————– Writer: Alisson Clark Source: George Burgess Three people died worldwide from shark attacks last year, far below the average of 6.3 deaths per year over the past decade, according to the International Shark Attack File report released by the University of Florida today. The U.S. had

Beaches remain closed after fatal shark attack at Shelly Beach NSW

Beaches remain closed after fatal shark attack at Shelly Beach NSW

Latest Media Release NSW Police Force 10. February 2015 ———————– Fatal shark attack update – Ballina Beaches remain closed between South Ballina and Lennox Head following a fatal shark attack in the area yesterday. Just before 10am on Monday 9 February 2015, a group of surfers assisted an injured man from the water at Shelly

AUS: Man killed in shark attack at Shelley Beach in NSW

AUS: Man killed in shark attack at Shelley Beach in NSW

Latest Media Release NSW Police Force 09. February 2015 ———————– Fatal shark attack – Ballina A man has died after he was pulled from a beach suffering fatal injuries believed to be from a shark attack on the state’s north coast this morning. Just before 10am (Monday 9 February 2015), a group of surfers assisted

Six Shark Attacks Reported from the US Pacific Coast in 2014

Six Shark Attacks Reported from the US Pacific Coast in 2014

News Release Shark Research Committee 22. January 2015 ————————– Pacific Coast Shark Attacks During 2014 There were 6 authenticated unprovoked shark attacks on humans reported from the Pacific Coast of North America during 2014. All of the attacks were recorded from California. The attacks were distributed in the following months; July (1), October (4) and

City of Busselton Plans to Install Second Shark Enclosure

City of Busselton Plans to Install Second Shark Enclosure

Media Release City of Busselton 14. January 2015 ————————- Plans for Second Beach Enclosure Progress Planning for the installation of a second beach enclosure in the City of Busselton is ongoing. The popular Busselton Foreshore has been identified as the site for this second enclosure which is being funded by the State Government as part

Sharks keep Newcastle beaches closed over the weekend

Sharks keep Newcastle beaches closed over the weekend

Media Release Newcastle City Council 16. January 2015 ———————— Alert – All Newcastle beaches to remain closed over the weekend All Newcastle beaches will remain closed this weekend, Saturday and Sunday 17 and 18 January, in the interest of community safety with continued sightings of two sharks in Newcastle waters today. We have also been

Capture gear deployed after fatal shark incident near Albany – Western Australia

Capture gear deployed after fatal shark incident near Albany – Western Australia

Media Release Department of Fisheries, Western Australia 29. December  2014 ————————— Fisheries officers deploy capture gear after fatal shark incident at Cheynes Beach Beaches have been closed at Cheynes Beach near Albany after a fatal shark incident late this morning. The Department of Fisheries is currently investigating and has deployed equipment in an effort to

WA Catch order for white shark frequenting Warnbro Beach rescinded

WA Catch order for white shark frequenting Warnbro Beach rescinded

Media Release Department of Fisheries, Western Australia 22. December  2014 ————————— Shark capture order rescinded Following a significant reduction in the rate of detections of the high hazard shark within Warnbro Sound, Department of Fisheries Acting Director General, Dr Rick Fletcher has rescinded the catch order. This action is consistent with the State Government’s guidelines

WA Fisheries Department decides to remove tagged white shark in Warnbro Sound

WA Fisheries Department decides to remove tagged white shark in Warnbro Sound

Media Release Department of Fisheries, Western Australia 19. December  2014 ——————— Shark threat at Warnbro Sound prompts action Following a series of tagged shark detections of a white shark at the Warnbro receiver a decision has been made to deploy capture gear to take a white shark that has been assessed as posing a serious

Shark attack kills teenager off Port Douglas, Australia

Shark attack kills teenager off Port Douglas, Australia

Media Release Queensland Police 15. December 2014 ———————- Sudden death, Port Douglas An 18-year-old Mossman man has died after sustaining a shark bite off Port Douglas this morning. The man was fishing off Rudder Reef at around 11am when he was bitten by a shark on his leg. Friends who were travelling with the man

South Australia’s shark patrol begins today through end of March

South Australia’s shark patrol begins today through end of March

Press Release University of South Australia (UniSA) 01. December 2014 —————————- Shark Patrol begins today UniSA’s aerial shark patrol will again keep beach-goers safe this summer, with the service starting today (December 1) through to the end of March. The fixed-wing aircraft service is provided by UniSA’s Aviation Academy. It monitors the metropolitan coastline from

Shark bite incident reported at Mandurah, Western Australia

Shark bite incident reported at Mandurah, Western Australia

Media Release Department of Fisheries, Western Australia 29. November  2014 ——————— Beaches closed after shark bite reported at Mandurah The Department of Fisheries is advising water users that beaches either side of the groyne at Pyramids Beach, Mandurah, have been closed by the City of Mandurah, following a shark bite reported to have occurred this

Eco-Shark barrier back at Coogee beach on a three year trial basis

Eco-Shark barrier back at Coogee beach on a three year trial basis

Media Release City of Cockburn 25. November 2014 ————————- Eco-Shark barrier re-installed in time for summer The Eco-Shark Barrier is being re-installed at Coogee Beach this morning after Council voted in October to fund the barrier on a three year trial basis. The City sought funding from the State Government to contribute to the $85,000

Page 6 of 30« First...45678...2030...Last »